.

........................................................................................................................................................Now in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

PLAY WITH CROPPING Part One

Almost all of the work that I do in terms of hooked rugs and felted panels are developed from photographs. Perhaps being the daughter of a professional photographer has been one of my strongest influences. Once a week, with little exception, I am traveling the back roads of Atlantic Canada, snapping photos as I go. The majority of my pieces, dogs, sheep and goats included, speak about my life in this region and through the wonders of digital photography I have amassed hundreds of photos recording just that.
Yesterday we visited St. Martins New Brunswick. Here is the first of a series that I will work through to design potential.

Rock Cliff
Cropping this photo several ways will reveal three pieces that I will develop as textiles.

#1. tree tops
I love this shot as a tall angular shape that emphasizes the height of this cliff
with a beautiful contrast between the soft waving clouds and the uniform, rigid striations of the rock cliff itself. Also in lovely contrast are the horizontal and vertical lines in this photo.
All much more available to the eye in this cropped version.

#2. Rock Cliff detail
This in itself interests me, aside from everything else that is going on in the photo. I love to examine small detail. In this case, the lines, curves, textures - all divine!


#3. Sky
I feel that this image stands alone, though it is also great reference for a piece that is in need of some overhead interest.
01 09 10