.

........................................................................................................................................................Now in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

MOVING TO CANVAS

To conclude this follow up on a Rug Hooking Daily conversation here is
one more note about moving from photo to canvas, or at least my method of doing so.
The starting point is a photo of our "Finn", working his magic.

personally, I choose materials as I go. Selecting only for color. Doesn't matter what it is, if it's exactly the color I need I'll hook with it. Everyone plans color and material in their own way.
My method is slightly chaotic, leaving much to intuition. The color wheel is a valuable tool. Color theory is a worthwhile pursuit. Don't let them over ride your gut feeling. Your intuition will not only choose color because "it goes" it will also choose color based on the sentiment, mood or level of energy that it conveys.

Here's my color selection in progress. Finn was a "summer child" and I was immediately drawn to a lush, "wide awake" pallet for this rug ...


Once again here, you can see my sketching on the canvas. I actually moved Finn by about 6 inches in this rug. Using different colored sharpies I was still easily able to follow my final design.
Mistakes or should I say changes of heart will completely disappear as the rug is hooked.


... the finished rug is labeled "Captain Fantastic", approx. 4 feet x 4 feet.
Unfortunately the colors in this photo are not exactly true to the rug, at least not on my monitor.
..and here we are speaking about color:)

01 09 10