.

........................................................................................................................................................Now in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Friday, January 02, 2009

GIFTS

A friend of mine entrusted me with a small portion of dog hair several years ago.
(what a great lead line! Can you imagine the strange and convoluted story that could develop from that line? ...I digress)
Not just any dog hair but that combed from her very first and very much loved border Collie.
I have held onto this small sampling, carefully labelled and stored, for soo long. I just wasn't confident in choosing an appropriate project for this very precious fibre.
At last I discovered the "Wolf Pack Hat" (designed by Mary Lou Egan, 13 Mile Farm, Montana) in the wonderful book "Shear Spirit".



The Border hair was carded with a wee bit of alpaca and spun on my little Louet Victoria.

This is such a lovely, portable little wheel. It allows me to "bring my work home" and spin fireside. So appropriate for such a personal project.



I combined my friend's dog hair with the fleece of one of her California Red sheep, also spun on the Victoria.



The hat has a double lining. I used a duplicate stitch to add "GOOD DOG TWISTER" on the inside brim.


...so this is the book. A portrait of several fibre farms including background stories, photos and patterns as well.


...back to the London-Wul Homepage: www.thewoolworks.com



01 09 10