.

........................................................................................................................................................Now in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

ANATOMY OF A FELTED IMAGE

... am preparing visual aids for an upcoming workshop
re: felting technique and design.
Here is a preliminary describing my starting point for developing a felted image.


First step: develop a theme on which to base the design.
In this case "Nature has it's day".
With this thought I have decided to make a crow king for a day. Here he sits atop an enormously large apple. The apple was chosen to represent something natural, yet again the epitome of cultivation. The crow is suggested as a hardy and intelligent bird that , due to it's brains and bravado, is unfortunately plagued by .... us.

The design is then fleshed out. For this project I have chosen to use a tightly woven 100% wool cloth as my backing. This will give me the option of wet finishing the image.
My designs are drawn free hand with a sharpie.




The foundation fibres are needle felted into place.



The foundation is laid using undertones that will provide depth when built upon.
This is, by far, not the only method of developing a felted image however it is a thought process and follow through that works well for me.
01 09 10