.

........................................................................................................................................................Now in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

HOOKING WITH HANDSPUN

... a few years ago I ordered several bolts of Dorr Wool fabric to dye and cut for hooking.
I quite enjoyed dyeing the fabric. In fact I still enjoy it and dye fabric for others, however when hooking, I invariably reach for yarn.
I hook exclusively with yarn. Yarn of all description.

In the past, If I didn't see exactly what I needed in a commercial yarn I would spin and dye my own. I began to enjoy the feel and effect of my handspun yarns more so than other materials and, as it turns out, all of my work this summer has been based on handspun yarn.

Unexpectedly, this change has brought a completely different feel to the process of making a rug.
By the time I have drawn a design onto backing, spun the yarn to be hooked and dyed the colors that will be needed, the actual hooking becomes a very different, very decided, carefree and joyful experience. A surprise to me, and a good one at that!

... still have to bind the edges of this summer's rugs .... will post them soon.


Heidi's handspun:




s
01 09 10