.

........................................................................................................................................................Now in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

FROM PHOTO TO CANVAS

More about photos today.

I was recently asked how I transfer an image from photo to canvas for rug hooking. The answer is quite simple. I sketch the image onto my linen backing.

Here I have worked a photo digitally so that I can have a look at simplified lines throughout.
I often like to see this perspective before drawing. I translate the photo image to linen backing by free hand drawing using sharpies of various colors. I find free hand so much easier than trying to get the scale that I'm looking for by digital means. I usually work fairly large ("Angus" is 6 feet x 3.5 feet). I suppose I would need to head off to a printer and have him work his magic for me in order to get something large enough to work with. That's just way too much trouble for me and quite expensive, I imagine. Here's a step by step on "Angus" from photo to canvas:



I took several photos, printed them out and actually taped them together to get a panoramic perspective. No fancy camera here, and my print are actually on plain old card stock.

Sometimes it's nice to digitally "simplify" the lines before going to sketch.

I surround myself with other photos taken on site, for reference.


Here is the image as sketched onto a linen backing. You'll notice that the dog was first sketched in green and then corrections were made in black.

....and finally, here is the rug.
01 09 10